News and analysis from The Center for Michigan • http://thecenterformichigan.net
©2015 Bridge Michigan. All Rights Reserved. • Join us online at http://bridgemi.com
Original article URL: http://bridgemi.com/2012/05/land-o-links-44/
“Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives” — James Madison, “Father of the Constitution” and fourth president of the United States.
* The overall student loan debt number isn’t cause for panic, argues Andrew Rotherham, the man behind the eduwonk blog. However, he says that some categories of students — those attending for-profit colleges, for example — are in trouble.
* In an election year, you are going to see lots of public opinion surveys. If you are one of those people who dodges the phone inquiries and wonders who actually responds, read on:
* Matt Yglesias argues that small-business owners are worried much more about a state’s licensing requirements than about its taxation policies:
* What’s the best automotive decision you’ve ever made? I drove two cars during the first 19 years of my driving life: a 1978 Oldsmobile Omega (lots of problems with the heater core) and a 1992 Geo Prizm (alternator had a tendency to go out). The vehicle I’ve enjoyed most was a Jeep Cherokee, which took me from Lansing out to Vegas and back one summer, though my current Ford Escape has done fine through year one. What sayeth you?:
* I’m not so sure this is the best way to convince property owners to help on an issue: “While property owners may be reluctant to obstruct lake views with tall vegetation, protecting lakes should trump aesthetic concerns, said Skubinna. ‘By just keeping conditions as nature intended, a lot of problems can be avoided.'”: